Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 9 inch pie shell
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix together pumpkin, milk, and eggs.
- Stir in sugar, spices and salt, beating until blended.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven 50-55 minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Watch the crust, if it starts to get too dark, wrap foil around the edges to prevent burning.
- Cool completely.
- Garnish with whipped cream just before serving.
Good pie! The molasses adds a deeper colour and rich, bold taste. I baked my pie at 425F for 15 min and at 350F for another 50-55 min. The crust edges didn't get too dark. It's also not heavily sweet. I'd make this recipe again, so thanks for posting!
I lightened this recipe up by using 1 egg and 2 egg whites, brown sugar twin, skim milk, & made it crustless; still quite delicious, with a rich, earthy flavor. The molasses adds something to it that I've been missing in my other lite, crustless recipes, and adds all that nutrition. This is a keeper!
This is a super-delicious pie, at least it was with the cooked sugarloaf squash I subbed for the pumpkin. I was using 8" graham cracker pie crust, and found I needed 2 crusts, so this made 2 full 8" pies for me. I baked according to the recipe, but the bottom of my crust got SO burnt; it was completely black. That's never happened when I've cooked pumpkin pie in this type of crust, so I think next time I'll follow Trish's directions. Yet, even with a very burnt crust, this pie was still delicious--even w/o anything on top. Thanks!