Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
A flavorful lowfat muffin. This makes a lot of muffins, but they freeze well.
Make and share this Molasses Prune Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, quick-cooking type
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup prune puree
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat 18 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir well with a whisk.
- Add to flour mixture and stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups.
- Bake 18 minutes or until done. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
These muffins are moist and delicious. I used half white and half whole wheat flour. I also substituted flaxseed for wheat germ and replaced the ricotta cheese and canola oil with 1 cup of applesauce. I was able to get six muffins out of my Texas-sized muffin cups. Baked for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I'm always on the lookout for healthy baked goods recipes and this one will certainly be made again. Thanks for posting, Mikekey!