From Taste of Home's Best Holiday Recipes. This is a great snack for your family or even a gift for friends, neighbors and teachers! And it's made in the microwave. . .whoopie!
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (I have subbed this out with extra molasses, honey and agave in the past, all with great results)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (I have subbed out vanilla in the past)
- 5 cups miniature pretzels
- 1 cup salted peanuts (unsalted is fine too)
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and molasses. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45-50 seconds or until the butter is melted; stir.
- Microwave 15-25 seconds longer or until mixture boils. Immediately stir in the salt, baking soda and extract (mixture will foam).
- Stir in pretzels and peanuts. Microwave on high for 20-30 seconds or until pretzels and nuts are well coated, stirring twice.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. (If I use unsalted peanuts, I sprinkle some extra sea salt on the top of the mixture). Cool for 15 minutes, stirring twice. Store in an airtight container.