Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty little squares that are relatively healthy and low in fat. Easy to make. From "Divine Indulgences" by Rose Reisman. Edited to add: This is one of my adopted recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg (large)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats (or old fashioned)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- With a whisk or electric mixer, beat together brown sugar, spices, molasses, oil and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats and baking powder.
- Add to molasses mixture; stir until blended.
- Spread in baking pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out dry.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
Added some raisins and walnuts- yummy!
These are moist for sure even with only half the oil. They're very chewy and the oatmeal texture is a little 'raw' I guess is the best way to put it. We'll certainly eat this batch but I don't think we'll make these again.
These are great! I modified by using gluten free flour and cut back on the sugar and oil a bit (I always do) and they turned out very good. I will be making these again and again. Thanks for a tasty and healthy recipe!