1/2 Photos of Molasses Oat Bran Cookies
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This healthy (well, healthier) cookie recipe won a prize in the 1990 Pillsbury Bake-Off. It was created by by Constance Dudley of Stanardsville, Virginia. I got the recipe from the 50th Anniversary Best of the Bake-Off Cookbook. Cook time includes refrigeration time and cook time for 2 batches of cookies. These can easily be made vegan by using a vegan egg-replacer like Ener-G. Sometimes sugar is not vegan so you could substitute raw sugar, if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large eggs or 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran or 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1In a large bowl, mix the oil, egg, 1 cup sugar and molasses and mix very well.
- 2In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, oats, bran, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves.
- 3Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until well-blended.
- 4Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (This is for easier handling).
- 5Heat oven to 375°F.
- 6Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment.
- 7Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the 1/4 cup sugar.
- 8Place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets and flatten the cookies with the bottom of a drinking glass, dipped in sugar.
- 9Bake at 375°F for 7-10 minutes until cookies are set and tops are crackle-y.
- 10Let cool 1 minute on the cookie sheet, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molasses Oat Bran Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.4
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.1 mg
- Sodium 53.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 0.9 g