Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Got a craving for blackstrap molasses...high in calcium, iron & potassium. Got to thinking about the molasses horsefeed we used to dig through to find lumps of oat & cracked corn covered molasses to knaw on ...MMMmmmmm...Therefore made this big batch up for self-serve breakfasts while travelling on contract (& to know DH will not be looking for the super saturated sugary cereals in my absence - LOL). After thoroughly cooled, I bag in gallon freezer bags & freeze until wanted - I fill bags about 1/2 full & express as much air as possible before freezing. Blackstrap is a robust taste & I am sure a lighter grade would work well but not be as nutritious. I would also increase salt to 1 teaspoon if using a lighter grade molasses. The nuts are purchased raw, not preroasted if possible. I like to use sultanas, raisins, currants, chopped dates & figs, dried blueberries or cherries, depending on what I have onhand.
- 3075.67 ml thick old fashioned oats, not quick oats
- 709.77 ml walnuts, chopped
- 709.77 ml pecans, chopped
- 709.77 ml pumpkin seeds
- 709.77 ml unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 236.59 ml flax seed
- 473.18 ml unsulfured blackstrap molasses
- 354.88 ml maple syrup
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml peanut oil
- 59.14 ml water
- 29.58 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml sea salt
- 709.77 ml dried fruit, your choice
- In a LARGE bowl, mix oats, flax, nuts & coconut.
- In a second bowl, mix all wet ingredients, including cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar & salt. Mix until blended with spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour wet onto dry and stir thoroughly. Stir, stir & stir.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets (the sided kind) with aluminum foil & layer granola onto prepared sheets about 1/2 inch thick. Multiple sheets allow cooking to go faster.
- Toast 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove from oven & cool (I use another cookie sheet & put 1/2 of toasted mix on it to speed cooling.
- Repeat until granola all toasted.
- When cooled, return to original BIG mixing bowl & add dried fruit of choice & mix thoroughly. Alternatively, leave fruit out & add at serving time (harder for me to remember).
- Bag in amounts that are workable for you & freeze until used. May recrisp 5 minutes in 300 degree oven if it softens with storage.