Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These cookies are very old-fashioned. Eating them is like eating a bit of history, or so my partner tells me. There was a time when molasses was the main sweetener for many people.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses (you can use any kind of molasses you prefer. Light molasses makes a brown, delicate flavored cookie;)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring the butter to room temperature so that it is soft.
- Cream the butter with the brown sugar.
- Stir in the molasses.
- Add the egg.
- Measure out the flour and add to the butter/molasses mixture.
- Stir until partially blended.
- Add the milk and blend well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 min.
- or until set in the center (no imprint remains when lighty touched with a finger).
great recipe but how much flour???