Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love dark fruitcake and this one is my favorite. This one keeps very well...especially if brandied! Makes two loaves or one 9 inch tube pan.
- 1⁄4 lb butter (or 1/2 c. shortening)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 cups mixed candied fruit, of your choice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped candied citron peel
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter 2 9x5 loaf pans.
- Line them with foil and butter again.
- Mix spices with the flour and take a small amount and dust the foil lined pans with it.
- Set pans aside.
- Take baking soda and add to the flour and spice mixture.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter then add brown sugar to it.
- Cream again until sugar is incorporated.
- Add lemon extract and eggs and beat well.
- Add applesauce and molasses and blend.
- Add flour/spice mixture and beat well.
- Stir in candied fruit, citron, raisins and pecan.
- Spoon into pans and cover tops with walnut meats.
- Bake for 1- 1 1/4 hours (until toothpick comes out clean).
- Let set for 7-10 minutes then turn out on racks and cool.
- When completely cooled, wrap well and store in an airtight container.
- *If you want brandied fruitcake: soak 2 pieces of cheesecloth in brandy.
- Wrap fruitcake up with cheesecloth then wrap tightly with foil.
- Open up every other day for a week and add additional brandy.
- Serve away from flames.