1 hr 15 mins
I had ordered chinese five-spice powder from Penzey's a while ago and was waiting for a recipe to try and just found this in Good Housekeeping. It was incredible. The flavor is outstanding. In response to one of my reviews I did not have a problem with my potatoes cooking I did cut them into quarters small enough to cook but not so small they disengrate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Remove gilbets and neck from chicken.
- 3Rinse chicken with cold water and drain well; pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of five-spice powder inside cavity.
- 5With chicken breast side up, tuck wing tips under back of chicken.
- 6With string, tie legs together.
- 7Line medium roasting pan with foil.
- 8Place chicken, breast side up, on a small rack in center of foil lined pan.
- 9Wash and dry potatoes and pierce with fork, cut into quarters small enough to cook not so small they turn to mush.
- 10Place potatoes around chicken in pan.
- 11You can also peel potatoes and cut them up instead of leaving them whole to bake if you prefer.
- 12In cup combine molasses, ketchup, honey, soy sauce, salt and remaining five spice powder.
- 13Brush half of molasses glaze all over chicken.
- 14Cover pan with loose tent of foil.
- 15Roast chicken for 30 minutes.
- 16Remove foil and brush remaining glaze over chicken.
- 17Roast another 30 minutes longer or until temperature on meat themometer reaches 175 to 180 and juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced with knife Transfer potatoes to cutting board; keep warm.
- 18With tongs, tilt chicken to allow juices from cavity to run into roasting pan.
- 19Place chicken on platter; let chicken stand 10 minutes before carving.
- 20Slice potatoes into 3/4 slices (if you left them whole to bake); arrange on platter with chicken.
- 21Garnish with chives.
- 22Skim and discard fat from drippings in pan.
- 23Serve pan drippings with chicken and potatoes.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Molasses Five Spice Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.6
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 172.5 mg
- Sodium 844.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 44.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder