Recipe by Cullinaryjudge
My grandma Lena's recipe. These contain raisins and cherries. The yield amount is approximate.
Top Review by Len23
Kudos to Grandma Lena! These cookies are fantastic. I used margarine instead of shortening because I never buy shortening, so I think my cookies were a little flatter than they would have been otherwise, but they are still *very* very good. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. Love the cherries, nice addition. I sprinkled my second batch with sugar before baking. Cooked in 10 minutes and i got about 28 cookies or so. Hard to tell as I was eating them right off the pan, lol. Will be a great spicy addition to the christmas baking trays. The dough is quite soft, easy to just drop onto the pans by tsp.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup glace cherries, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar until light.
- Beat in egg and molasses.
- Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon, soda, and ginger, in seperate bowl or on wax paper.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stir until well mixed.
- Fold in cherries and raisins.
- Drop onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 350 degreesF.
- for 10-12 minutes.