Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A sweet treat from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sour milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- oil, for frying
- Sift dry ingredients together very well.
- Beat egg; add molasses, sour milk and melted butter and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and blend thoroughly.
- Preheat oil to 370F in a large saucepan or stockpot.
- Roll dough out on a floured board to 1/4" thickness.
- Cut with a floured doughnut cutter.
- Fry until brown, turn and brown on other side.
- Drain on paper towels and dust with sugar or confectioners' sugar, if desired.