Recipe by Aroostook
This is my favorite gingerbread man recipe for the holidays. It is an eggless recipe and really has a great molasses flavor. This dough can be frozen for several weekes or you can roll, cut out and flash freeze the cut-out cookies to bake at a later date. Decorate with a simple smile, eyes and "mittens" using a confectioners sugar frosting piped out of a small ziplock sandwich bag.
Top Review by mamajane2
Wow! This is great! My 2 1/2 yr old grand daughter is allergic to eggs. She looked at a book this am with gingerbread men in it and wanted some. So, I went to my favorite place, the web, and found yours. The dough is very easy to work with, she was using the rolling pin and doing some of the cutting with the cookie cutter. It tasted delicious. The cookies were a little hard (usually from the Crisco) so I put them in a bag with a piece of bread to soften them up. Then we will put faces on them! They were great for dipping in some hot tea, which I've already done. I will definately use this again, thanks so much! jane Oh, and I didn't need to refrigerate it at all, which makes getting the mess in the kitchen done with and cleaned up!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 4 -5 cups flour, enough to make a smooth dough
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar and shortening together until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and beat until it is incorporated Add hot water and stir well.
- Sift dry ingredients into mixture a cup at a time and stir until mixed well Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out a small amount, cut out a cookie round and test by cooking in a preheated 375F oven.
- If cookies are spreading out too much, add and knead in a bit more flour.
- Roll out dough a quarter at a time, keeping the rest chilled.
- This makes handling the dough easier.
- Roll out (using an equal mixture of confectioners sugar and flour) and cut into gingerbread men shapes.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for about 12 minutes.