Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I do not claim this recipe as my own. It is the best molasses crumb cake though. I stalked a woman at church for the recipe. She insists it's the oil that makes it so moist.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup molasses
- Mix together flour, sugar, oil, and salt. Reserve two cups for crumb topping.
- Dissolve baking soda into warm water.
- Add water mix and molasses to dry ingredients.
- Mix until smooth and pour into a greased pan (I use a glass cake dish).
- Sprinkle crumbs on top.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Ive been making this recipe for years. It's truly simple and good. The only difference with my recipe is the addition of 1tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp cloves to the crumb mixture.
Very nice cake. Followed the recipe exactly as written. Good molasses flavor and reminded me of shoo-fly pie quite a lot. I was a little worried about no eggs, but it worked out just fine.