Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
Great anytime, but especially fun to include in your cookie trays during the holidays! Cooking time is per pan.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream shortening.
- Add sugar gradually, and cream thoroughly.
- Blend in beaten egg and molasses.
- Mix together flour, soda, cloves, cinnamon and ginger to cream mixture. Mix well.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour or more.
- Shape into balls, and dip top in sugar.
- Place unsugared side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each cookie with 2-3 drops of ice water.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Place on cooling rack.
these are good but I got nothing near 36 cookies, I must have shaped them into larger balls, I also added in a small amount of freshly ground black pepper for extra zip, thank for sharing Linda, will make again!