Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My husbands grandmother's recipe. I had to use almost another cup of flour over what this recipe called for as the recipe was given to me very loosely. Cookies are crisp and have a nice, mellow flavour. I prefer them without the filling.
- Mix sugar into shortening.
- Add molasses and hot water, mix well.
- Add other ingredients, mixing flour til batter is soft but not sticky.
- On a well floured surface, roll out to 1/4" thickness. Cookies are best when they are thick and large.
- Cook at 250 til edges brown (about 10-12 minutes).
- In saucepan, cook filling ingredients til quite thick (about 10 minutes). When cookies cool, use filling to make sandwiches.