Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
These old-fashioned cookies are semi-soft, midly spiced and have a rich molasses flavor. I love the baked on frosting.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2⁄3 cup light molasses
- 1 egg
Baked on frosting
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt and soda.
- In a large bowl, beat together brown sugar, shortening, molasses and egg until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Prepare the frosting.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on greased baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Frost the cookies.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Makes about 3 1/2 dozen 3 inch cookies.