Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
Molasses Cookie Recipe from my grandma that I copied down from an old dusty handwritten recipe card. I'll take one of these molasses cookies over chocolate chip or oatmeal any day. Hint** the trick with these is to NOT bake them too long, take them out at 7 or 8 minutes.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Melt shortening in a three or four-quart saucepan over low heat.
- Remove melted shortening from heat; allow to cool.
- Add sugar, molasses and egg; beat well.
- Sift together flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add these to first mixture.
- Mix well and chill thoroughly.
- Form into one-inch balls.
- Roll in granulated sugar and place on greased cookie sheets two inches apart.
- Bake in moderately hot oven, 375 degrees F. for eight minutes.
These are very very good cookies...thanks