Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
My mom's adaptation of my great-grandmother's recipe. Maybe it's older than that. I don't really know, but they are delicious. Prep time includes the overnight chilling.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups flour
- Combine the sugar, molasses, and melted shortening.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and add that.
- Stir in baking powder, ginger, and salt.
- Stir in flour until it forms a nice dough ball.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll out the dough and cut into shapes.
- Arrange on baking sheets and bake 10-15 minutes.