Prep 6 hrs 30 mins
Cook 9 mins
Another recipe from my friend in NB, Canada. She tells me this recipe is over 100 years old! Baking time is approximate, based on the size cookie log and cookie slices. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a saucepan, bring molasses to a boil. Add baking soda and vinegar. Blend well and let cool.
- Add shortening, brown sugar, egg and dry ingredients sifted together.
- Roll into a log in wax paper and chill for at least 5-6 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator, and slice thinly. Place on cookie sheets and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 6-9 minutes or just until done.
- ***NOTE: baking time may vary based on how thick/thin you rolled the log and how thinly you sliced your cookies.
These were great cookies. My husband loved them. They made 72 decent sized cookies. I rolled them into a ball and then in sugar and flattened them with a fork. Worked great.