Recipe by Dee514
This is the same kind of taffy you helped your grandmother make when you were a kid.
Top Review by Jmommy209
Really fun, easy and tasty recipe. I had loads of fun pulling the taffy once I finally remembered to take off my wedding ring! I didn't have light molasses, so I just used what I had on hand and used white sugar instead of brown. Delicious!
- 2 cups light molasses
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 pinch baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, over medium heat, cook all ingredients stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, to the hard ball stage, about 260°F on candy thermometer (or a small amount of mixture dropped into cold water forms a hard ball).
- Pour mixture into a buttered shallow pan and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, rub butter on hands and pull the candy (small portions at a time) until light golden in color and candy has a satin-like finish.
- Pull into long strips 3/4 inch in diameter and cut into 1 inch pieces with a scissors.
- When completely cooled, wrap each piece in waxed paper, twist waxed paper closed at each end.