Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Dense, moist, rich, and full of molasses flavor! Almost a brownie in texture; this is a fallen or sunken cake. Try it plain first, before deciding on a frosting (none necessary). This is my husband's favorite cake (unfrosted), and even received rave reviews (and no leftovers!) at a wedding shower I took it to (double recipe and use 3 pans, 30-35 min. bake time), layered with Kittencal's Easiest and Best Caramel Sauce!, and frosted with Cream Cheese Frosting, with strawberry slices in the volcano middle! -- this was VERY RICH, so small portions are essential!
- 2 1⁄8 cups flour (10.5 oz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons baking soda
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (1.75 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (1.75 oz)
- 1 1⁄3 cups molasses (NOT BLACKSTRAP!!!)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 -2 cup white chocolate chips (substitute any chip, chunk or nut) (optional)
- Oven: 325.
- Grease 2 8" round pans.
- Mix flour, salt, & soda.
- Mix butter & sugars, add molasses.
- Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients; stir in chips.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.