Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is absolutely delicious, but you have to be a mollasses and spice fan. This can be served as a dessert with either a topping of applesauce,crushed pineapple or Cool Whip.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Beat eggs, add sugar and shortening and beat until well mixed.
- Mix flour with soda and spices.
- Add to mixture with hot.
- Pour into 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan.
- Spread a tablespoon of sugar on.
- After baking 35 minutes, test with toothpick until done.
Easy to make! Very moist but quite heavy. Thin slices are the way to go with this one.