Recipe by Aroostook
This is an easy recipe that is sure to please gingerbread lovers.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
All my family loved this bar!! I liked it because it was easy to make with ingredients in my pantry. It is delicious plain or with a lemony glaze, topped with a bit of candied ginger. I have to take a dessert to a local church lunch this week, this will be perfect! Thanks for a great recipe Aroostook!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup very strong coffee (or 1/2 c. water mixed with 1 tsp instant coffee)
- confectioners' sugar or icing, of your choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9x13 pan and preheat oven to 350F Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy Add beaten egg, coffee/water and molasses.
- Mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to wet.
- Mix well Pour into pan and bake 25 minutes.
- While still warm sprinkle w/ confectionary sugar or glace with a thin icing.