Recipe by ldunger
1909 Molasses cake recipe with no eggs or mik required. This was my great grandmothers recipe and it was my grandmothers favorite cake recipe. (And is a favorite for the rest of my family also...)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 egg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together brown sugar and butter.
- Add molasses and baking soda disolved in hot water.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture. Beat well.
- Put into greased, floured 9x9x2 inch pan,
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes.
- The following may also be added to this recipe- rasins, chopped nuts or candied fruit for fruit cake.