Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
1909 Molasses cake recipe with no eggs or mik required. This was my great grandmothers recipe and it was my grandmothers favorite cake recipe. (And is a favorite for the rest of my family also...)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 egg (optional)
- Cream together brown sugar and butter.
- Add molasses and baking soda disolved in hot water.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture. Beat well.
- Put into greased, floured 9x9x2 inch pan,
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes.
- The following may also be added to this recipe- rasins, chopped nuts or candied fruit for fruit cake.
What a delicious use of blackstrap molasses! It came out incredibly moist and flavorful. Really easy to make too. It looks like a chocolate cake but is oh so much more :)
This is a moist delicious cake that is so rich in flavor. My husband LOVE molasses, and I saw that this recipe was full of all of those spicy molasses-y flavors and had to try it.....It is now my husband's FAVORITE cake...TRY IT! It is so so so good! Really simple too! I baked my first cake in a 9x9 pan, and then in a 9x13, the larger size pan worked better for me for lunch serving sizes. Thanks so much for sharing this GEM!