Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 X 5 X 3-inch pan.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, salt and raisins in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- In a second mixing bowl, mix baking soda, buttermilk and molasses, using a wooden spoon.
- This misture will start to bubble.
- Immediately mix it into the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake at once.
- The bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Turn out of the pan and cool on a wire rack.
This was a nice filling bread. I preferred it toasted than straight out of the oven with a bit of cream cheese on top. Is quite heavy so fills you up good too.
Made this recipe as written & gotta tell you that THIS BROWN BREAD IS WONDERFUL! I used dark brown sugar & dark molasses for this! Too bad it's buried deep in Zaar recipes! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC cooking game]
This was great. It tasted even better than what you get in the can--I know, it's hard to believe. We put raisins and dates in one loaf, and the other without, and either way was tasty, and relatively good for you, too. It took about 20 minutes to make.