Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
From Cooking Light
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup ice cube
- 4 (6 ounce) bone-in center-cut pork chops (about 1-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage (or 1 t. dried rubbed sage)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Make the brine: combine water and salt in a large bowl; stir until the salt dissolves.
- Add in sugar, molasses, and vanilla; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in ice.
- Add chops, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove chops from brine, pat dry; discard brine.
- Make the rub: combine all the rub ingredients; rub over both sides of chops; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chops in flour.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add chops and cook 5 minutes on each side or until done.
This has become a staple in my family. Fantastic recipe!