Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Easy to make, great with cream cheese. Make ahead and freeze for future use.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (do not use skim!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray 9X4 inch loaf pan with non stick spray.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Mix liquid ingredients together, then add to dry mixture.
- Blend well with electric mixer.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out and cool completely.
- Delicious with cream cheese.
- Freezes well.
I love molasses and this bread was full of that dark rich taste. Some currants were waving at me in the pantry as I was gathering my ingredients, so they got added to the bread. Instead of making one large loaf, I used my mini pans and made three small ones, putting two in the freezer and bringing one as a treat for a friend. Next time I make this bread, I'll add some spices and it will taste like gingerbread. I like that this bread has no oil, uses whole wheat flour and the molasses for some good nutritional value as well as good flavor. A truly fine recipe.
Can I give this 6 or 7 stars? I followed the directions except I used all all-purpose flour and I added about 1/3 cup of raisins. I will be making this again!
I really liked this recipe. I only had skim milk on hand and I thought it still worked wonderfully. I added two teaspoons of cinnamon and 3/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. It is very easy to make and I enjoyed the fact that it uses whole wheat flour. Next time I make it I will add raisins, I would have this time but I didn't have any on hand.