Prep 15 mins
Cook 26 mins
Gingerbread flavored biscuits, compliment the flavor of a smoked ham.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees with rack in center.
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, ginger, cloves, and pepper.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and molasses until completely combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and add the milk-molasses mixture.
- Using a fork, stir the mixture until it almost comes together.
- Gently bring the remaining smaller dough particles together with your fingertips.
- Transfer dough to a very lightly floured surface, and pat into a flattened circle about 6 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut dough into rounds with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Gently press the excess dough together, and cut several more biscuits.
- Gently press the remaining excess dough together one more time, and cut one more biscuit.
- Transfer biscuits to a parchment-lined baking sheet; generously brush tops with cream.
- Bake until golden brown, 24-26 minutes .
- Place biscuits on a wire rack to cool slightly.
Good, for a nice change of pace.