Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A yummy legume dish
- 2 lbs dried beans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lb salt pork
- 1 medium size onion
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Soak beans overnight.
- Parboil Beans for ten minutes with the baking soda.
- Run cold water through the beans in a strainer.
- Peel onion but leave it whole.
- Dice rind of salt port in one half inch squares.
- Put half of the pork to the bottom of bean pot with the onion.
- Add beans,.
- Put the rest of the pork on top.
- Mix other molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with 1 cup hot water. Pour over beans.
- Put in 300F oven for six hours.
- Add water to pot as necessary, to keep the beans moist. Be careful not to flood the beans.