Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
I developed this recipe after tasting many different styles and flavors of gumbo. You won't find any okra in this recipe though, sorry.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄3 cup dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1⁄2 lb polska kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 lbs crabmeat (back fin, lump, and claw)
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (reserve shells for stock)
- 3 dungeness crabs, cracked and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs shrimp shells
- 1 white onion
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 scallions
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon peppercorn
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups white wine
- 4 cups water
- For Roux: Add one stick of butter to the stockpot and melt completely.
- Gradually stir in flour.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low; cook for five minutes, stirring continually until mixture turns light brown.
- For Stock: Coat a large pot with olive oil.
- Add shrimp shells and stir.
- Chop an onion, carrots, celery, and scallions; add to pot then stir.
- Chop garlic bulb in half; add to pot.
- Add peppercorns, bay leaves, salt, pepper and olive oil; mix together well.
- Pour in 2 cups white wine.
- Remove pot from flame and add 4 cups water (or enough to fill the pot).
- Return pot to flame and bring to a full boil.
- Lower heat to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Take another large pot with a colander and strain the stock into the new pot, leaving only the liquid.
- Discard strained items (i.e. shells, vegetables, etc.).
- For Gumbo: Add onion, pepper, celery and garlic.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add chicken broth, and chicken base, stirring as you go.
- Add water, bay leaves, thyme, basil, parsley, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, House Seasoning and tomatoes.
- Add sausage and chicken wings to pot.
- Cover pot and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add crabmeat, shrimp and crab legs.
- Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve over hot buttered rice.