1/1 Photo of Mojito Scones: Happy Hour, Meet Breakfast.
I found this fabulous recipe on KAF: "While at first thought, these two flavors (sour? minty?) don’t seem complementary, they actually occupy enough common ground to make a good pair. Both are refreshing, clean flavors; not at all subtle, they wake up your taste buds. Heck, they’re both bright green; that should count for something! Lime and mint come together nicely in these tender scones. Since the recipe as written provides the barest hint of mint, feel free to ramp it up by brushing the scones with a bit of mint syrup after baking."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 1/2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lime rind (zest, the rind of 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lime oil (optional, for enhanced flavor)
- coarse white decorator sugar (optional)
- 1Whisk the first 7 ingredients together in a bowl.
- 2Work in 1/2 cup cold butter until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- 3Add 3/4 cup cold milk and 1/2 teaspoon lime oil (if using).
- 4Stir just until the dough is cohesive.
- 5Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, shape it into a rough ball, and roll or pat it into an 8″ round.
- 6Patting the dough into a lightly greased 8″ round cake pan is an easy way to make a nice, neat round.
- 7If you’ve patted the dough into a pan, turn the pan over and rap it sharply to drop the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- 8Score it into 8 wedges.
- 9Brush with milk, and sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar, if desired.
- 10transfer the wedges to the sheet, separating them by about 1″ at the outer edge.
- 11Place the scones in the freezer for 15 minutes; this will help them rise higher.
- 12While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 13Bake the scones until they puff up and begin to brown, 16 to 20 minutes.
- 14Remove them from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan before transferring to a rack.
- 15Serve warm, or at room temperature. Wrap any cooled leftovers airtight, and store at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mojito Scones: Happy Hour, Meet Breakfast.
Serving Size: 1 (700 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.2
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 33.7 mg
- Sodium 352.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: