Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
um found this recipe and HAD to store it!!!! It comes from Eastern Europe.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- lime, juice and zest of
- plenty of fresh mint
- 1 1⁄2 ounces spiced rum or 1 1⁄2 ounces dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk (milk past its date preferred)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar (icing)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Mix all the dry stuff together in a big bowl.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and add the beaten egg to it.
- Add that to the dry ingredients, stirring in the milk and rum until smooth.
- Zest an entire lime, add half the zest to the bowl.
- Squeeze in half of the lime as well (keep the other half and its zest for the icing!).
- Finely chop a handful of fresh mint, and add that to the batter, mixing well.
- Split the batter between 12 lined cupcake wrappers.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the sides pull away and are golden brown (the tops should be spongy to the touch).
- When done, remove to a wire rack and wait until they're completely cool before you attempt to ice them!
- For the frosting: Mix the softened butter and sugar together in a bowl until smooth. Add the rum and lime, mix further until stiff peaks form (add more powdered sugar if necessary). Taste to see if it needs more rum, and add as appropriate.
- Smear the icing onto the tops of the mojito cupcakes and add a sprig of mint on each to garnish.
I am an experienced baker and I could not make this recipe work.This recipe was a lot of work for disastrous results. The amount of divided ingredients were not clear which resulted in gummy cupcakes and sour frosting.