2 hrs 30 mins
From Guy's Big Bite on Food Network. This looks really good! Cook time includes 1.5 hours to marinate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1Remove backbone of chicken with poultry shears; flatten chicken out by pressing firmly on skin part of chicken so it will sit evenly in a pan (How to Spatchcock a Chicken).
- 2Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 3Combine all the dry spices and rub chicken with spice mixture, especially under the skin. Put into a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the marinade, then add chicken to marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 5Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess marinade. In a large saute pan over medium to high heat, add 4 tablespoons of extra- virgin olive oil. When oil is hot, place chicken skin side down and sear.
- 6When skin is golden brown flip chicken and add 1/2 cup of marinade into pan; place pan in oven and cook the chicken for 25 minutes or until chicken has internal temperature of 165 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer.
- 7Glaze: In medium sauce pot, place rum, chicken broth and brown sugar. Reduce by 1/3 over high heat. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. When rum mixture is reduced, add cornstarch mixture slowly to simmering liquid and whisk for 3 minutes, until 50 percent thicker. Keep in mind that you might not need all of it. When glaze is at desired thickness, add mint leaves and transfer to small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 8Remove the chicken from oven and brush with Mojito Glaze. Place chicken under broiler for 5 minutes. Remove from broiler, cut and serve immediately with more glaze on the side.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mojito Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 824.1
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 133.6 mg
- Sodium 3715.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 34.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar