Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Guy's Big Bite on Food Network. This looks really good! Cook time includes 1.5 hours to marinate.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Remove backbone of chicken with poultry shears; flatten chicken out by pressing firmly on skin part of chicken so it will sit evenly in a pan (recipe#187484).
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine all the dry spices and rub chicken with spice mixture, especially under the skin. Put into a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the marinade, then add chicken to marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess marinade. In a large saute pan over medium to high heat, add 4 tablespoons of extra- virgin olive oil. When oil is hot, place chicken skin side down and sear.
- When skin is golden brown flip chicken and add 1/2 cup of marinade into pan; place pan in oven and cook the chicken for 25 minutes or until chicken has internal temperature of 165 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer.
- Glaze: In medium sauce pot, place rum, chicken broth and brown sugar. Reduce by 1/3 over high heat. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. When rum mixture is reduced, add cornstarch mixture slowly to simmering liquid and whisk for 3 minutes, until 50 percent thicker. Keep in mind that you might not need all of it. When glaze is at desired thickness, add mint leaves and transfer to small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove the chicken from oven and brush with Mojito Glaze. Place chicken under broiler for 5 minutes. Remove from broiler, cut and serve immediately with more glaze on the side.
Made this recipe for the first time this weekend and all agree this is recipe is excellent! We made it just as written. Plan to make again, and again, and again!
This is very delicious! I have made it 5 times now now and this is what I do: I marinate the chicken overnight and serve it without the glaze, I don't think the final glaze step is needed. Cut the salt back by at least 1/4, I cut it down by 1/2. Used balsamic vinegar instead of white wine vinegar. I think the temp should be at least 375 degrees if not 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. A few extra limes are goood to give it more tartness. I have grilled this as well with excellent results! Thanks for posting Marla.