Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was looking for a cheap and gentle homemade face mask that would smooth my combination skin. Most that I found online only addressed one skin issue so I combined a list of ingredients that I had in my kitchen for my desired results and came up with this. The result is smooth glowing skin.
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons skinless blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Combine the oatmeal, almonds, milk powder and baking soda in a grinder or blender and grind until it is a fine powder.
- In a small airtight bottle (vanilla essence bottle or a pill container works well) shake the lemon juice and honey until the honey has blended completely with the lemon juice.
- If you are not using it all in one sitting transfer the dry ingredients into an airtight container and store both wet and dry mixes separtely in the fridge. Dry mix keeps for 2-3 months but discard the wet mix after 2 weeks.
- To make one application of facial mask combine 2t of dry mix with 1/2t of wet mix. It will bubble as the lemon reacts with the soda.
- Apply facial to whole face, avoiding your eyes.
- Leave for 10 minutes or until the mask is dry and slightly tacky.
- Rinse off with warm water until clean.
- I dry my face and apply moisturiser and make-up without any other skincare steps but if you are worried about leaving residue on your face you can cleanse with your normal facewash and toner after.
This was so easy to prepare (and all items that I usually have on hand in my kitchen), and it still provides enough so I can have several more facials later. The instructions state to mix the wet and dry ingredients together until it bubbles; mine didn't bubble, but it did make my face feel smooth afterwards. It's nice to have products like this that Thanks for sharing your facial recipe, Cass81. Made for Spring 2013 Pick-A-Chef.