Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I chose a Duncan Hines mix and modified the directions a little bit along with a Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe. The end result was AWESOME!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxclassic white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (32 oz)
- 4 tablespoons half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Blend the mix, half and half, margarine, and eggs at medium speed until fully mixed.
- Pour the batter into greased pans. For this recipe I used two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool the cake while in pans for 10 minutes, then remove and allow them to continue to cool. After cooled then add frosting.
- FROSTING: Mix shortening, vanilla, sugar (sifted), and half and half at medium speed until fully mixed. If the frosting is too thin, add more sugar, if it is to thick add more half and half.
- Then ice cake to desired taste.
- Top with your own choice. I topped mine with strawberry pie filling. It was PERFECT!
I made this cake today and decorated it for Breast Cancer Awareness month. My husband just ate a piece of it and he said it was delicious!! Instead of the vanilla I added imitation butter flavor to the buttercreme to give it that butter taste!! Fantastic!!