Recipe by Teresacooks
This is a cake that was originally for people with food allergies, I don't have any of those. I make it because it's delicious!
Top Review by Michelle A.
It is a good basic cake recipe. I didn't think it was too dense, but I also don't have box cake mix often enough to remember what it is like for a good comparison. I took some of the other reviewers' comments and implemented their suggestions. I used only 2.5 teaspoons total of baking powder, added 3 T apple sauce, used A.P. flour and added 3 T cornstarch. I also used coconut oil instead of shortening.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two cake pans (I usually use 9" round). Mix together 3 T. water, 3 T. oil, 2 teaspoons baking powder. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat until well mixed, approximately 4 minutes. Pour batter into cake pans. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Frost when completely cooled.
- Note: Baking powder is intentionally listed twice in this recipe. The combination of 3 T. water, 3 T. oil, 2 teaspoons baking powder; mixed together is the substitution for 2 eggs.