Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I don't like dry cornbread. This vegan version is tasty, and moist. It does not last long, however, so you do need to eat it within 2 days.
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir first three ingredients together.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Regular salt will work as well.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x9 square pan. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 (or in miniloaf or muffin pans for about 25 minutes), until tester comes out clean.
Wow. I've been eating cornbread my whole life and this is by far the best cornbread I've ever made or even eaten! Since becoming vegan I've searched endlessly for a good Northern-style cornbread recipe. This recipe is better than any vegan or non-vegan cornbread I've ever tried. I'm too cheap for maple syrup, but using agave instead worked just fine. Thanks for sharing!
I don't know why I have taken so long to review this one - I've made it three times now! I love it. My only complaint is that it doesn't hold together very well. It's pretty crumbly. I think I'll try adding some egg replacer next time to see if that helps bind it together a bit more.
This is fantastic!! I used EVOO instead of the canola oil & vanilla soymilk (because I had both onhand). I also added about 1 cup frozen seasoned corn/pepper/onion blend. My husband & I will have no problem eating this within 2 days.