Recipe by PdxBarb
I don't like dry cornbread. This vegan version is tasty, and moist. It does not last long, however, so you do need to eat it within 2 days.
Top Review by firstname.lastname@example.org
Wow. I've been eating cornbread my whole life and this is by far the best cornbread I've ever made or even eaten! Since becoming vegan I've searched endlessly for a good Northern-style cornbread recipe. This recipe is better than any vegan or non-vegan cornbread I've ever tried. I'm too cheap for maple syrup, but using agave instead worked just fine. Thanks for sharing!
- 2⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir first three ingredients together.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Regular salt will work as well.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x9 square pan. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 (or in miniloaf or muffin pans for about 25 minutes), until tester comes out clean.