Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found a version of this recipe online somewhere and used it to take a roasted chicken to church for a special sampling of foods you can get from ordering foods from Angel Food Ministries. (http://www.angelfoodministries.com/) Everyone raved about it and since I am going to roast one for home today I decided to add the recipe here too. This is a well seasoned bird which is cooked with high heat for the first 20 minutes then cooked the remaining 40-50 minutes at a lower temperature. This makes the chicken nice and moist and very flavorful. It's easy and quick to prepare as well.
- 1 -3 lb roasting chicken
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees before starting to prepare the chicken.
- Place the whole chicken into a medium sized baking pan.
- Rub the entire bird with the olive oil.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and paprika, then sprinkle evenly over chicken.
- In the preheated oven bake the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Lower the oven to 400 degrees.
- Continue baking for 40-50 minutes, or until golden brown and juices run clear.
- If your chicken looks like it is browning too quickly, Lay a sheet of tin foil over the top loosely and it will slow down the browning for you.
- Let the chicken rest in it's juices for at least 10 minutes before carving and serving. (This let's the bird reabsorb some of the juices and helps to make it even more moist.).
OMG this turned out PERFECT! HAS to be the best roasted chicken I've ever made and my family agreed. DH laughed that the word "moist" is in the title but after he tasted it agreed that it is true...it was very moist! I also tossed some cubed potatoes and baby carrots in some olive oil and the same herbs used on the chicken, poured them around the chicken to bake, and they turned out great also. Full meal in a pan...my favorite kind!
Absolutely fantastic!!!! I followed the recipe and instructions nearly to the letter except I roasted 2 chickens at the same time, each around 5 lbs. so I cooked them for 30 min. at 450, then another 85 min. at 400. I only put the herbs on the upper part of the body but next time I'll put them over the entire thing because the skin with the herbs on got crunchy and mouth-wateringly delicious. Although I did add some chunked potatoes and baby carrots in with the chickens, I can't say I was too thrilled with the way they turned out and will probably not do that again. I will, however, roast chickens this way time and again because I don't think it can get any better than this. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, CarrolJ!!!
Lovely moist roast chicken. I used my own herb mixture. :)