Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This cake is so moist, the addition of cream cheese and buttermilk gives this cake a rich buttery flavor. I have made this cake on several occasions, and everyone has really commented on how good it is! 1 cup of sugar does not produce a sweet cake, if you prefer your cake on the sweeter side, just add in about 2-4 tbsps more more of sugar. I have added in 2 teaspoons of pure lemon extract with 1 tbsp grated lemon rind, it is not necessary, but really gives a nice flavor to the cake. I think you will really enjoy this cake! Make sure that ALL ingredients are room temperature!
- 3⁄4 cup crisco butter flavor shortening
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second lowest position.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, cream together the shortening, cream cheese, sugar, lemon extract (if using) and lemon rind for 5-6 minutes on high speed of an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add in eggs; beat well until combined (about 2 minutes).
- In another small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture along with buttermilk; beat well until thoroughly combined.
- Add/mix in poppy seeds until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done with a toopick (don't overbake!).
- Cool completely, then frost if desired.