Cook2 hrs 30 mins
My family nominated me to make a turkey for Easter dinner. Since it was my first time to roast a gobbler, I gave the task some thought. The recipe I came up with was well-received by my family. I thought it turned out moist and favorful. I used a Reynolds' oven bag to roast it but you wouldn't have to do so.
- 1 turkey, thawed with giblets and neck removed
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs sage
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 apple, halved (I used a Braeburn)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1 reynolds turkey size oven cooking bag, if desired
- Wash the turkey and pat it dry.
- Place all of the herbs, all the butter, half the lemon and half the apple into the body cavity.
- Place the other half of lemon and apple into the neck cavity.
- Truss the turkey with kitchen string or dental floss.
- Rub canola oil all over the turkey and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- If you're using an oven bag, place the turkey in the bag at this point, following the directions on the box. I put about 1 tablespoon of water into the bag.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven until themometer inserted in the thigh reads 180 degrees.
- My 15-pound turkey took about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- You may want to adjust the oven temperature to 325 if you're not using an oven bag.
Very easy - I used this recipe for my first Thanksgiving and it turned out perfectly. The guests who don't like turkey, even liked it!
Thank you Suzy - 10 stars ! This was great, moist and dee-lish. I used an oven bag and a meat thermometer and our 14.6 lb Butterball took a bit over 3 hours to get to 180. Could have been my oven. Any way his was the best Thanksgiving Turkey we have EVER had and it looked beautiful too. My daughter took some pics and we will post them soon.
This turned out great! I used foil to cover and uncovered the last 30 minutes or so to brown it. I did use a bit of onion, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. It did take closer to 4hrs for my 15 pounder to cook. When it was done I mashed the apple into the juices added flour, onion powder, lots of pepper and chicken broth to make a gravy. Yum!