Recipe by HappyMommy1422
My family nominated me to make a turkey for Easter dinner. Since it was my first time to roast a gobbler, I gave the task some thought. The recipe I came up with was well-received by my family. I thought it turned out moist and favorful. I used a Reynolds' oven bag to roast it but you wouldn't have to do so.
- 1 turkey, thawed with giblets and neck removed
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs sage
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 apple, halved (I used a Braeburn)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1 reynolds turkey size oven cooking bag, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the turkey and pat it dry.
- Place all of the herbs, all the butter, half the lemon and half the apple into the body cavity.
- Place the other half of lemon and apple into the neck cavity.
- Truss the turkey with kitchen string or dental floss.
- Rub canola oil all over the turkey and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- If you're using an oven bag, place the turkey in the bag at this point, following the directions on the box. I put about 1 tablespoon of water into the bag.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven until themometer inserted in the thigh reads 180 degrees.
- My 15-pound turkey took about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- You may want to adjust the oven temperature to 325 if you're not using an oven bag.