Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Our family's favorite oatmeal cookie. Also makes a great ice cream sandwich!
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups quick oats
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Mix sugar, shortening, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Using a 1 inch cookie scoop, drop 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten cookies with glass dipped in water.
- Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes, or until golden.
- Store tightly covered.
- Makes 7 dozen cookies.
These were excellent!! I substituted peanut butter for half the shortening and they turned out wonderful!! A very chewy and satisfying cookie.....especially warm from the oven! Thank you!
I had some trouble with this recipe... I substituted butter for shortening but they fell apart way too easily (I've never had problems substituting butter for shortening before... but maybe it just doesn't work with these cookies.) They still tasted great, I put in some cinnamon and nutmeg to make them spice cookies, the only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that they fell apart so easily. Maybe next time I'll add an egg or two and less butter.