Recipe by wyojess
I wanted a moist, tender recipe and this one fits the bill. My own twist on a classic recipe. It's even great the next day! You can find the powdered buttermilk in the baking isle at Wal-Mart or your favorite grocery store. It keeps a long time and is a great kitchen essential. TIP: Spray cast iron pan with non-stick spray and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Pour in cornbread until cups are 2/3 full. Cooks in half the time and tastes even better!
Top Review by chef lisae
This is a great recipe. I did make some changes as follows. I used 1 cup of regular yellow cornmeal and 1/4 cup of stone ground corn meal. I used 1/2 cup of pastry flour and 1/4 cup of whole grain cake flour. Instead of butter, I used unsalted margarine and I used carnation milk. I also substituted 1/2 cup of liquid eggs for the whole eggs called for. My daughter loved it so did I. Not dry at all.
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered cultured buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons warm melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- Mix together dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Mix together milk and eggs in a second bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in milk mixture. Stir about 10 strokes.
- Fold in warm, melted butter.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean or the bread is golden-brown and springs back when lightly pressed.
- Bake 20 min for a 9x9" pan or 10 min in muffin pan. 7 min for pre-heated cast-iron cornbread pan. Enjoy!