Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I've made this recipe for years,passed down from my mother. I make my loaf free standing, in a slightly larger pan, and then add enough water to surround the base of the loaf. This gives me enough liquid to make a delicious gravy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 medium vidalia onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 7 ingredients, along with 1/2 cup of the ketchup and 1/2 of the can of soup, undiluted. Mix well.
- Form into loaf, either in loaf pan, or form free standing, in a slightly larger pan.
- Dilute remaining soup (right in the can) to a 'saucy' consistency.
- Pour over loaf, and then drizzle remaining ketchup over top of soup.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.