John DOH's Note:
An excellent meatball, to accompany your spaghetti..The breadcrumb "mush" acts as both a "binder" and moisturiser, with the milk "adding fat" to the meat, and the crumbs retaining this and the moisture of the meat itself. Eliminating the white from the eggs, allows the yolk alone as a binder, and does not cloud the taste of the meatball with the eggwhite. This mixture of meat is my favourite, although the same could be done with "straight" ground beef, though its my thought that it wouldn't taste as good. The result will be "juicy", and the herb mixture will match well to any Italian cuisine. Again, I like mine a bit "hot" but you can adjust the cayenne to your own preference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 lb ground beef
- 1/3 lb ground veal
- 1/3 lb ground pork
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely diced
- 1/2 Spanish onion, minced
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese, finely ground
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Allow meats to come to room temperature, and place in a mixing bowl.
- 2Separate the egg, discarding the white, add yolk to meat.
- 3In a separate bowl add milk to breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly to a loose but soaked slurry.
- 4Combine all ingredients with meat, and, using a fork, mix thoroughly until meats are fully mixed and seasonings evenly distributed in the mix.
- 5Allow to stand for 20 minutes, allowing herbs and seasonings to mix with the meats.
- 6Pluck the meat out gently, and gently roll into 1-1.25" balls of regular shape, smooth on the exterior, and place on a griddle pane.
- 7Insert in a 350* oven, and cook approximately 20 minutes, or until done.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moist Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.5
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 189.6 mg
- Sodium 303.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: