Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
After trying Kim's (my sister-in-law) moist wheat bread, I HAD to have the recipe! It was delish! You HAVE to follow this recipe to a "T" if you want it to be moist, light, & fluffy... Don't substitute or skip any of the ingredients. I had to order the SAF yeast and Dough Enhancer from www.beprepared.com (which took a few days to get delivered, but it was worth it). The vital wheat gluten is VITAL! This is the best whole wheat bread I've ever eaten - even better than specialty bread store's bread!
- 1892.72-2129.31 ml whole wheat flour (divided)
- 22.18 ml saf instant yeast
- 22.18 ml dough enhancer
- 44.37 ml vital wheat gluten
- 14.79 ml salt
- 709.77 ml warm water (114* - 116*)
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil (I use light-tasting olive oil)
- 118.29 ml honey
- 14.79 ml liquid lecithin (found at health food stores)
- In a medium-sized bowl, put 4 cups of the flour, the yeast, the dough enhancer, the vital wheat gluten, and the salt.
- In the mixer bowl (I mix mine in a Bosch mixer), put water, oil, honey, and lecithin.
- Add the dry ingredients from the bowl to the liquid in the mixer bowl.
- Beat with wire attachment until it forms a smooth batter. (About 3 minutes.)
- Place the dough hook on the mixer.
- Gradually add more flour and mix until it forms a soft dough. Continue mixing for about 10 minutes to knead the dough.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and form it into 3 loaves.
- Place in PAM-sprayed bread pans and spray the top of the loaves with PAM and allow to rise for about one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350* and Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- ** If you don't use all white-wheat flour, cut down on the baking time as it will brown more quickly. **You can use red wheat flour, but it is slightly heavier. I prefer using all white wheat flour or 1/2 white wheat and 1/2 red wheat flour, but any flour will work.
In my sons words. AMAZING!!! I tried this recipe on the weekend. Oh my goodness, what a gem. Thank you so much Shelly for sharing this with us. I followed it to a T and it worked out absolutely awesome. I've been trying for many, many years to make a light and fluffy whole wheat bread without success. I've made many great loaves of bread but they were all pretty dense and heavy. I can't believe how amazing this bread is. As you can see I can't say enough good about it. This is my new bread recipe, for certain. Once again ...Thank you!
I have a question. I can't find liquid lecithin anywhere in my area. I could order it from somewhere. Could you use the powder lecithin? If so, how much. I'm anxious to try. Thanks.
Delicious! I used a blend of whole wheat/ white-wheat and for the dough enhancer I used diastatic malt powder. I had to check twice that there was only 1 rise vs 2. The bread came out beautifully but took about 2.5 hours to rise. Finished the loaves off with an egg white wash and a sprinkling of King Arthur's Everything Bagel topping. Thanks for sharing. *Made for PAC Spring 2010*