Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I made these cupcakes for the Cupcake Menorah in a Chanukah party. This is a recipe that I can see myself making for years to come. I found it on the kaboose.com website. I like using egg whites and yogurt in recipes as healthy alternatives. I spread them with vanilla frosting (Vanilla or Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting) and they were incredible!!
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Line 10 muffin cups with foil or paper liners.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the sugar, butter and vanilla on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until well mixed. Add the egg whites, one at a time, beating for about a minute after each one. Now add the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt, in about 3 portions each, beating after each addition just until combined, and scraping down the sides to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Pour batter into the prepared cupcake pan and place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick poked into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool completely on a rack.
- To assemble the Cupcake menorah, frost all the cupcakes with your choice of icing and decorate in any way your heart desires. Place 9 cupcakes in a row on a platter or foil-covered cardboard base. Raise the middle cupcake up higher than the others — the "shamash" or leader. Stick candles into each of the 9 positions. When it’s time to light the candles — enjoy the flickering flames while you eat dinner, then eat the menorah for dessert!
I love this Recipe! I haven't even looked for another cupcake recipe since I found this one! I even make my own icing, I found the recipe on this site as well! :)
These are very dense and didn't raise and get fluffy like I expected. They were ok. Tasted a bit plain, but they were healthier than your typical cupcake;)
Using cupcakes as a menorah is a lovely idea!