No one will ever know this is made from a cake mix! I used Duncun Hines Classic white cake mix and Sprite soda for this, but any soda drink that has lemon is fine to use, add in some yellow food colouring also if desired ;-)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix (do not use pudding added cake mix for this)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (or to taste) (optional)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl combine cake mix, lemon zest (if using) oil and eggs; using an electric mixer beat at medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add in soda and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the batter to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- In a small bowl combine the confectioners sugar with lemon juice until smooth, then carefully spread over the warm cake.
- Cool on a wire rack.
This is really yummy! So moist!! I frosted them with Buttercream Dream #293896 rather than glaze them because I made them for a baby shower for my DIL and then topped them with candy ducks made from white chocolate melts. I did add the lemon zest. I gave out the recipe to several guests at the shower!!!
Another winner from Kittencal! Great cake, super easy to make and the flavor is delish. My only suggestion is to add the soda slowly and start mixing slowly because it will foam quite a bit in the beginning and I learned the hard way with stuff sloshing over the sides of the mixing bowl. Mine came out a nice yellow color without any food coloring. This recipe is a definite keeper.