Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love this cake--and it IS indeed moist. From Pamela Westland's "Celebrating Christmas." It is so easy to make. I baked it in a giant gingerbread man pan and decorated with colorful dragees--beautiful! You might consider doubling the recipe, since it makes a small cake.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I like to use fresh)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup crystallized ginger, chopped very fine
- 1⁄2 cup molasses (I like dark and strong)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Sift flour, spices and salt; stir in dates and ginger.
- Melt molasses and butter Beat egg with sugar.
- Add the two mixtures (above) alternately to dry ingredients, beating all the time.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk; stirr into mixture.
- Pour in 8" square pan lined with non-stick baking paper. Level top and bake at 350 F 45-50 minutes. Let cool on wire rack before removing from pan.
- Remove baking paper and wrap in foil. Store in air-tight container up to 8 weeks.