Recipe by Red Jenny
The secret is soaking the cornmeal in the buttermilk for at least 1 hour (included in prep time). It makes it nice and soft and moist. Enjoy with chili, or butter and honey for dessert.
- 2 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal (I used stone ground whole grain medium grind)
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 2⁄3 cup raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- At least one hour before you bake these, mix the cornmeal with the buttermilk and soak in the refrigerator. This can also be done the night before.
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease muffin tins.
- Beat eggs with olive oil and sugar. Add cornmeal-buttermilk mixture.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Add liquid ingredients and stir until just blended.
- Spoon into well-greased muffin tins, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown and spring back to the touch. Cool slightly before removing from pan - they are especially crumbly when hot.