Recipe by Perfect Pixie
Coconut is my Dads' favourite food (along with pineapple and apricots) so for his birthday I made him this. All I can say about this cake is WOW!!!
- 125 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut essence
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 300 g sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
Coconut Ice Frosting
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups coconut
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- pink food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a deep 23cm round cake pan, line base with paper; grease paper.
- Cream butter, sugar and essence in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture carefully to large bowl.
- Fold in half the coconut and sifted flour with half the sour cream and milk.
- Then fold in remaining half, fold until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour.
- Stand 5 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool.
- Top with frosting when cold.
- Combine sifted icing sugar in bowl with coconut and egg whites, mix well. Tint with a little pink food colouring if desired.